I'm Crazy Proud of Rumple
by Marie Contrarie (@MarieContrarie)
I’m dismissing the Rumbelle drama for a moment to talk about how amazing Rumple’s character development has been.
Please note: This is not a Belle-bashing post. This is a Rumple positivity post. If you have something to say against Belle, please do so elsewhere.
1. Rumple shattered the chipped cup to free himself from Merida and to warn Belle that she was in danger.
2. Rumple spoke to Belle in the library with total honesty about his fears, his failings, his wrongdoings. And he apologized.
3. Rumple wanted to run from Bearida and force Belle to leave Storybrooke, but he didn’t. He stood up for himself and protected his love. He solved the problem using what he had at his disposal–a little bag of magic that he didn’t even know would work and his considerable wits.
4. Rumple embraced Belle after their Bearida scare with complete abandon–nothing held back, no hidden agenda, no secret plans. He just buried his face in her neck and held her as a man for the first time EVER.
5. Seeking nothing in return, Rumple bargained with DarkEmma for information about Merida’s brothers and got Emma to return her heart.
6. Following an impassioned speech in which he promised to “change everything” for Belle and she told him “it’s never too late,” Rumple pulled the sword from the stone proving himself to be the hero we know he has ALWAYS been.
7. Rumple was kind and helpful to Hook when he barged into the shop looking for a way to talk to Emma. He suggested a way for Hook to draw her out.
8. Rumple accepted all the shade that DarkHook threw his way without biting back with a single return insult. He accepted the challenge of the duel. No manipulation, no tricks, no hiding. He was just his wonderfully witty, intelligent, brave self.
9. Rumple worked with the other Heroes. Again, he didn’t skulk off and solve his problems in secret in his own way. He behaved like he was part of a team. And hearing Henry acknowledge his changes just slayed me. Grandpastiltskin rises again!
10. Rumple told Belle that he knows there’s a difference between not wanting him to die and wanting to be with him. He asks for a chance to love her with honesty and courage. HUGE onscreen character and relationship development.
11. Rumple fought Hook and he won. More importantly? He. Walked. Away. If Rumple had wanted to be the Dark One again and take back the power, all he had to do was run DarkHook through. But he didn’t.
12. Rumple let his True Love walk away (again!) because it was what she said she needed.
Again, just some incredible character development from Rumplestiltskin. We are seeing the hero we have always known was there behind the Dark One in spite of the Dark One eating him alive and drawing on his darkest impulses. Without the darkness he is free to be the man he wants to be. To accomplish lasting change, a character has to want to be different for himself–not just for the people he loves. Rumple’s not doing this for Belle or for Bae. He’s doing this for himself. This is his journey and it’s so special to finally see Rumple get the credit he deserves.
Special thanks to Marie Contrarie for giving OUAF permission to re-publish this from her tumblr account http://mariequitecontrarie.tumblr.com/post/134274057637/im-crazy-proud-of-rumple